Monday, November 22, 2010

Ask Whatever: Thanksgiving, Abridged

"Jen, I have a Q for the blog. It's my first time putting on Thanksgiving, and it will be a small gathering of 3 people, what should I prepare? A Turkey would be too much."

Girlfriend, let me tell you. I wish my first Thanksgiving was for 3 people. You're gonna be great! I agree that a large, plump bird would be too much for just the three of you unless you all really like cold turkey leftovers. However, this is a very special holiday so not just any old drumstick or fillet will do.

If you're open to 'Tradition Interpreted', there are a few ideas I can offer.

Quail or Poussin

Though eating a bird other than a chicken or a turkey can seem weird, don't be put off just yet as both Quail and Poussin are considered pretty regal. You'll eat like a petite queen with these impressive wild fowl. Not only are they small (usually serve 2 Quail or 1 Poussin per person) but the meat is the perfect vehicle for seasonal flavors like apples, pears, cranberries, and beets so you don't have to put too much effort into finding pairing ingredients. This will give you the look of a traditional Thanksgiving with an exotic, smaller twist. Try wrapping it in bacon to make it even more perfect.



Leg of Lamb

What a freaking feast this will be. Yes, cooking a leg of lamb requires some skill and beginners luck and there will be leftovers as most legs are about 5 to 7 lbs and serve 6 to 8 people - but when the heck do you ever eat lamb? Take advantage of the savage yet delicate piece of meat. I suggest playing up the holiday theme and finding a recipe that involves rosemary and garlic. Instead of cranberry sauce, make a mint jelly and you might never do turkey again.



2 comments:

  1. Perfect! Thanks for the tasty advice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I advocate for a vegetarian thanksgiving, I've done cornish hen in the past for a small gathering of three :)

    -rae
    thecowswillthankyou.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete