Sunday, November 21, 2010

Root mash

I've been obsessed with making mashed potatoes this week (fatty as heck, I know, but whatever). To mix things up a bit while still satisfying my cravings, I created this recipe using turnips, green onions and carrots. As I've mentioned before, carrots are a great way to add subtle flavor and have a huge impact on presentation.

Root Mash
Ingredients:
Small Bunch of turnips (5-6)
8-10 baby carrots
2 big garlic cloves crushed and sliced
1 1/2 cup green onion stems
Salt and Butter to preference

Prep:
Turnips and carrots boil until soften (usually about 20 minutes)
Add garlic about half way through
Drain completely
Add butter and salt and mash in
Mash in chives
Add butter on top, cover until ready to eat then stir in before serving
And voila! Pictured below with cranberry dijon sauce (From Bon Appetite 11/09) and drumsticks with an Austin, Tx rub.

Note: one of the best investments for holiday cooking is a masher. Other than a knife to chop the veggies, it's the only tool I use in mashes. Check out these selections from local, independent kitchen store: Kitchen Kapers

2 comments:

  1. Ever tried adding a little shredded chedder to your potato mash? I promise, it's super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Make sure to follow my blog!

    ReplyDelete