Monday, November 22, 2010

Ask Whatever: Thanksgiving

Hosting Thanksgiving should be mandatory at least once for anyone with even the slightest interest in cooking. It is C-R-A-Z-Y but can also be a lot of fun and is almost always rewarding (even if the entire turkey is ruined ala Christmas Vacation-style). I like to pretend I am on a cooking competition show when I host, putting on my game face and being in it to win it.

I have a few girlfriends hosting their first Thanksgiving this year and they asked me some really great questions that can be applied to any big meal. Here are some of the highlights.

Q:"How can I ensure excellent timing? I am worried things will not come together at the right time"


If you are hosting Thanksgiving you're going to be spending a lot if time in the kitchen so first make sure to assign someone to keep refilling your cocktail and bring you hors devours throughout the day.

Of course, try to make and prep as many things as possible in advance- especially if you have a big turkey and a small oven (think space issues and temperature specifications). Things like cranberry sauce and soups can be made a few days in advance, and actually taste better when they've sat a bit so start with them. Chop vegetables and seal them the night before, prepare and slice cheeses and snack plate foods on trays and wrap as is for easy serving the next day and sit butter out on the counter in the morning so it melts faster later that afternoon.

I also map out my game plan and agenda a few days before and stick a copy of it on the fridge for easy reference (this I got from my mother-in-law who is a thanksgiving veteran). I'll set labeled alarms on my cellphone to remind me when I need to start working on the next dish, like "3:00 put pies in oven." These tricks allow me to drink as much as I want and still stay on track - perfect!

My favorite tip for a large diverse meal is writing down the different menu items on index cards and placing the cards inside or on top of the serving dishes. That way, when you have mashed potatoes in one hand and creamed corn in the other there is no mixing up placement.

Q:"How long should I cook my turkey? It's huge - what do I cook it in? And if I pre-stuff my turkey before cooking it will I die of salmonella?"

Turkeys are a big bird to take on so it can be intimidating at first but once you roll up your sleeves and get started you should be fine. I suggest putting both hands on the bird and giving it a little grab. Seriously. You'll soon see it's just like a giant chicken breast once you actually touch it and you can totally manage hooking it up with deliciousness. You own this bird, and there is nothing be scared of.

A turkey's cook time ranges on the size of the bird and the heat of your oven. I don't mess around with second-guessing poultry so I am going to defer you to a website dedicated to cooking birds: www.eatturkey.com

As for what to cook it in, just use what makes sense - you can cover a deep baking pan with foil, buy a disposable aluminum pan from the grocery store (not the most green choice, but that's how I do it) or be wild and buy a fancy bird pan. There are some options from my favorite independent gadget store Kitchen Kapers for going all out.

And no - you won't die from stuffing your turkey before you cook it, but keep in mind it takes longer to cook a stuffed turkey. I suggest finding a recipe and sticking to it to ensure a fully edible meal.


These are some highlights from my first time hosting last year: local vegetables, table setting and bourbon apple pie courtesy of my sexy, pie-loving husband.

4 comments:

  1. OMG this is wonderful. thanksgiving will never be the same. thank you martha stewart !

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Make sure to follow the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've (very) briefly considered offering to do thanksgiving this year...but I have ADD and two small children. In the past this has resulted in me cooking for 72 hours, screaming at someone, then being in the shower for almost the entire party. Help me Jen!!

    ReplyDelete